by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler
Larry Page, Elon Musk, Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos–There’s a reason they’re not like entrepreneurs of any previous era. They’re examples of a new and fast growing breed of “exponential entrepreneur”—those visionaries able to tap the incredible potential of exponentially accelerating technologies (infinite computing, robotics, artificial intelligence, and 3D printing, to name but a few). These technologies are democratizing the power to change the world, both driving us towards an age of Abundance and allowing those in the know to create extraordinary wealth along the way.
Who are today’s “exponential entrepreneurs” and how can you join their ranks? What strategies do they employ? How can you emulate their ability think at scale? How can you harness the same technologies, tools and techniques they use for having a global impact?
These are the questions at the heart of BOLD: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World (Simon & Schuster, February 3, 2015) by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler, whose previous coauthored book Abundance spent three months on the New York Times bestseller list and garnered high praise from such outlets as The New York Times Book Review and the Wall Street Journal.
In BOLD, the authors offer a highly practical playbook that arms today’s entrepreneurs, activists and leaders with the tools and techniques they need to positively impact the world while simultaneously making their biggest dreams come true. The book describes:
- The five accelerating technologies which offer the most fertile ground for starting a disruptive business: networks and sensors, infinite computing, artificial intelligence, robotics, and synthetic biology
- The psychological tools and techniques necessary to raise your game, think at scale and become an exponential entrepreneur. In addition to the authors own proven methods to adjust mindsets for exponential growth, BOLD includes detailed advice and lessons learned from Page, Musk, Branson & Bezos
- The Six Stages of Exponential growth (the 6 D’s) that allow entrepreneurs to peer into the future: Digitization, Deception, Disruption, Demonetization, Dematerialization, and Democratization
- Four crowd-powered tools that empower today’s entrepreneurs to accelerate their new startup through: crowd funding, crowdsourcing, community building and incentive competitions (This detailed content is based on interviews with over a hundred platform providers)
- Scores of stories of small exponential startups with big bold goals and smart foresight, including Made in Space, the world’s first space-based 3D printing company.
BOLD unfolds in three parts:
PART 1 – Bold Technology, describes in detail the technologies that are growing exponentially and changing the world as we know it, including the five industries ripe for exponential growth and the Six D’s of exponentials. Some of the fascinating stories in this section include:
- How networks and sensors are being used in telecommunication (billions of smartphones and tablets with sensors that can track more data each day), transportation (insurance companies putting sensors in cars for driver behavior analysis and jet engines that can be monitored and tended to in real time), security (surveillance cameras and audio tracking that send information directly to the police), and medicine (sensor enabled inhalers and bottle caps to track medicine intake). According to a Stanford University report released in 2013, the number of sensors in the world is expected to grow into the trillions by 2023.
- How 3-D printing is changing every industry, from medicine (prosthetics, bone implants, surgical tools, Invisalign braces), space exploration (in the next five years 60% of the parts used on the International Space Station will be 3-D printable), transportation (most cars today coming from the USA and Japan include 3-D printed parts), toys (dolls that can be 3-D printed on demand).
- How Jarvis, the fictional artificial intelligence in the Iron Man movies, with its ability to consciously interact with its owner, may not be completely fictional in the future. Key elements of JARVIS are currently being developed in laboratories and companies around the world.
- 45% of American jobs may be lost to artificial intelligence and robotics in the next two decades. Entrepreneurs will be smart to look at opportunities where this shift in labor will take place.
- Advances in bionomics and synthetic engineering will enable us in the future to have, for example, a toothpaste that can be designed to fight a specific person’s bad breath microbes, to polish and continue cleaning after brushing, and even detect infections or diseases.
PART 2 – Bold Mindset, focuses on the psychological tools required by exponential entrepreneurship. “Every innovator interviewed for this book,” write the authors, “emphasized the importance of the mental game, arguing that without the right mindset, entrepreneurs have no chance of success.”
Diamandis and Kotler share the advice of “Four Who Changed the World,” from interviews they conducted with Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Jeff Bezos, and Larry Page. Also, based on his 15 years of research, Steven Kotler shares the secrets to flow, the state of consciousness that underpins ultimate human performance, and Peter Diamandis shares his own entrepreneurial wisdom, techniques and tools for success, which he’s applied to the 17 companies he’s started, including Singularity University, XPRIZE, Planetary Resources and Human Longevity, Inc.
In addition to these stories, the authors interviewed radical newcomers like Jay Rogers, the founder of Local Motors, the world’s first open source car company; Eric Migicovsky, CEO of Pebble and creator
of one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns in history; Ben Kauffman, founder of Quirky, a crowd-powered company currently disrupting the trillion dollar product manufacturing industry.
PART 3 – The Bold Crowd, closes the book with a look at the incredible power and essential best practices that allows anyone to leverage today’s hyper-connected crowd like never before. Here, you’ll learn how to harness crowdsourcing solutions to massively increase the speed of your business, to design and use incentive competitions to find breakthrough solutions, to launch million-dollar crowdfunding campaigns to tap into tens of billions of dollars of available capital, and finally, to build exponential communities—armies of exponentially enabled individuals willing and able to help today’s entrepreneurs make their boldest dreams come true.
Part manifesto and part manual, BOLD will prove to be the go-to resource for the next evolution of game-changing entrepreneurs.
Courtesy of Simon & Schuster
Categories: Books for Brains